Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Lensflare, or Obsessions with the Late Afternoon Sun and Glare and those Seeds that Float in the Haze

While we're on the mixtape kick, let me just post Side A of one I made last Spring that makes so much sense now that we're in Autumn. I've just got back from a few days in Melbourne after the Golden Plains festival and realised that I'm obsessed with taking photographs like the one at the top of the page because it looks like how a lot of music I listen to sounds like. It's like the cover of Benoit Pioulard's Precis, from which this tape's opening track is lifted. Or Boards of Canada's Music has the Right to Children and The Campfire Headphase. They're more Summer, though; Pioulard is all Autumn. For me, at least. Anyway, a few of the tracks below featured on this dusty road trip in autumnal Meredith and Melbourne. Autumn is much prettier in Melbourne than Sydney: trees, low afternoon sun, a dust-covered Citroën windscreen.

Benoit Pioulard - Together and Down
Beach House - Master of None
Beirut - After the Curtain
The Speakers - A Cradle Song
Page France - Dogs
Vashti Bunyan - Here Before
Panda Bear - I'm Not
Mirah - After You Left
Natural Snow Buildings - Lie There
Bibio - Marram
Shugo Tokumaru - Light Chair
David Thomas Broughton - Ambiguity
Joanna Newsom - Cosmia

That's 45 minutes worth, and yes, it's all gentle acoustic songs. A heavy-handed evocation of Autumn, perhaps, but I'm good like that.

No comments: