Thursday, February 26, 2009

ENTIRELY CONTENT TOGETHER


It could be the intense Scotch accent but I’m finding it real hard to believe that Erik Sandberg hasn’t lived through every word he sings on this record. (TANGENT: I would believe anything a Scottish person told me if they said it with a stack of reverb in, say, a mid-range male voice. BONUS TANGENT: Can you imagine if homie in Glasvegas had an American accent?) I’m not sure what the Glasgow press is saying about these gents but I bet it’s got something to do with Belle & Sebastian, and that’s a comparison that goes beyond Wake The President’s charming accents. They’ve got the clean, upbeat guitar lines and monochromatic album covers in common, and if you ask me, there’s a definite Stuart Murdoch quality to Erik Sandberg’s voice, especially when he’s shooting for the big notes.



Not that that's all Wake The President are about, though. For one, they're harder edged - Belle & Sebastian never turned the amps up this loud. They dabble in classic Go-Betweens harmonies and their debut record, You Can’t Change That Boy (out March 9), has an exuberance that, in a weird way, recalls The Lucksmiths for me. You get the feeling this shit is gonna be massive.

[Wake The President MySpace]

[Pre-order You Can’t Change That Boy from Norman Records]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scottish accents are not fucking fair...