Wednesday, April 14, 2010

CASUAL BASIS



MP3: Circle Pit - Speed Limits

Check out this laconic jam from the surprisingly awesome new Circle Pit record (that’s not a diss, it’s just really awesome). These guys have a pretty long CV in the field of scummy punk rock, but instead of being brash and abrasive and lo-fi Bruise Constellation is funny and relaxed and kind of... well produced? Natch, when I say it’s funny, I mean it displays some pretty dark humour (“I been lifting heavy weights nearly everyday / Now my spine’s out of place”), and when I say it’s relaxed and well-produced I mean it wasn’t recorded on a dictaphone and you can listen to more than one song at a time. It’s more Wire, say, than Wavves. Actually, what it is is kinda like an Angry Samoans jam, or like post-hardcore before there started being all those rules. Terrific Brisbane zine Negative Guest List described Angie and Jack from Circle Pit as "A pout-faced bratty cunt and a perpetually smacked-out looking homo", and I’m obviously not going to be able to do better than that.

myspace / blog

1 comment:

Jaimi said...

I love this band