Sunday, August 26, 2007

"Me, I don’t need this shit. I’m a music journalist."

The Fiery Furnaces - Automatic Husband

Apparently lots of people don't dig The Fiery Furnaces. Me, I like them, even Rehearsing My Choir. It's forced quirk? YES! But I didn't realise they rocked/freaked as much as on the new one, Widow City. It spans styles and time signatures all garish synths and rambling guitars and beeps and beeps, it's pure pop, it's clear that's their main interest across all albums (well...maybe not on Bitter Tea). It's either endearing or annoying, depends who you are I guess.



If they are a novelty band (cuddly rock opera Blueberry Boat assured that status, or, Pitchfork etc. assured that this was their status) then I wonder how long they will go for, or how this new record will be 'received' by music magz and sites. Does sounding novel remove some required sincerity from a band? There aren't really any poignant or emotive moments in their music but that's not how they roll.

No comments: