So there hasn't been much going on here lately, I've had a real shortage of new music; my fav torrent website was shut down for a while and I've been working an office job (yikes) but luckily there I can listen to music all day. Old stuff, mostly; well, old as in stuff on my portable harddrive from a year ago. It is easy to be sapped of all inspiration working in an office; music has only really served as a distraction. Anyway, I'm done with the office this week and the torrent site is back up and I've found some new ways to find music (who would've thought a Radiohead forum was one of the best places to find new albums). Something I have been thinking about is Paul McCartney, the other day I was talking about favourite Beatles and I couldn't remember the last name of the Beatle who first name starts with George (it's Harrison, FYI). I always thought Paul McCartney was the shittest Beatle but now I'm thinking it just might be the case that my favourite Beatles songs are written by Paul and that I need to embark on a significant Paul McCartney phase. This will make my life better, it's undeniable, and I think it all started when I bought Paul Mccartney II on vinyl from Christchurch's finest and dustiest record store Penny Lane (along with Nick Lowe's Jesus of Cool and Neil Young's Trans - 3 for $10!!!). The only problem is, there's no record player here; what a doozy! So, if anyone has any tips on where to start in his catalogue then let me know. I'm looking at you, Faux Pas.
Other things, in bullet point form:
- Just did an interview with Randy Randall from No Age re: their new album. That will be up on TMT soon.
- Shiver Like Timber (finally) has some new songs on her MySpace: 'No Hesitation', 'ET and Me' and 'Silver Cyclone'.
- Last week I interviewed High Places re: slugs, Brooklyn, how they make their music. This will be up/published somewhere soon but I'll post some excerpts here soon too.
- The new Dosh record Wolves and Wishes is excellent! And the new Eddy Current record is kickin'.
- Still obsessed with everything Bradford Cox does. It's all up over here and it's a really great way to lose a few hours and pick up a whole lot of music in the process.
- (I think) I am DJing once again this week in Christchurch at Cartel in SOL Square. Thursday night, 10 til late.
- As mentioned a few weeks back, the full interview I did with Honey Owens aka Valet is up now at TMT