Friday, June 13, 2008

HYACINTH GRRLS

Abe Vigoda - Bear Face

Abe Vigoda - Cranes

Abe Vigoda - Endless Sleeper

The first time I heard of this band Abe Vigoda was when I interviewed Randy Randall from No Age the other day (fkn cool amirite?) and he was like saying how the LA scene is really diverse and shit and he said this band called Abe Vigoda played 'tropical punk', which I thought had to be the best idea for a way to make yr band sound ever. I was kind of bummed though when I went off an downloaded their old album cos it's not really that tropical at all, in fact, it's basically just LA punk. It's good and all but I wanted palm trees and luaus and beaches and bright funky patterned hats and tshirts. HOWEVER, jams from their new album Skeleton (on No Age's Dean Spuntz label PPM) prove that Abe Vigoda are in fact the Tom Ze of the vegan punk world, all spastic rhythms and hi and lo notes and gallopy tom drums. It pulsates; heat-wave, not no-wave. This is what flavour Abe Vigoda would be if they were in an ice cream:



(That's GOODY GOODY GUM DROPS, FYI.)

[Abe Vigoda MySpace]

[Abe Vigoda Blog]

[Pre-order Skeleton from PPM]

No comments: