Sunday, March 15, 2009

BAY SPIRES


Maybe it’s just the early morning caffeine freakout reminding me how much I’d really prefer to be, y’know, anywhere else, but I keep getting these ultra-vivid thoughts of how I’d like to sit in a park across town and put my hands in the grass or just crawl into bed, put on Twin Sister, close my eyes and feel myself levitate off the mattress. There is no doubt in my mind that this would happen. Last month, Drowned in Sound did a week on slowcore, the genre sometimes known as “the Alternative to Alternative music” (which is obvs a) retarded and b) makes it sound the like the gross vegetarian option) that brought us Galaxie 500 and Mazzy Star. I wasn’t aware that slowcore was due for a comeback but I’ll tell you this: I’m into it. Twin Sister are a band from New York who make perfectly beautiful slowcore; pounding rhythms, sublimely fuzzed out guitars, songs about red-headed lovers. Nice.



An extra thing to love them for is how “Web 2.0” savvy they are: you can download their debut EP, Vampires With Dreaming Kids (+ loads of bootlegs), for free from their website.

[Twin Sister MySpace]

No comments: