Thursday, October 08, 2009

TOASTY

Hudson Mohawke - Just Decided (Feat. Olivier Daysoul)
mp3 removed at request

Maybe I need to get out more but when I think of Glasgow soundz, my mind immediately switches to twee mode and I end up imagining what kind of music plaid patterns could emit should they magically be given the ability. Consider me surprised when I found that a city I usually associate with jangly guitars and saccharine melodies could also produce a dude who's music sounds like the complete antithesis of all of that. Hip hop from the days of old, funk, soul, techno and every dance genre prominent in the UK back in the 90s all comprise Hudson Mohawke's sound. Though he can seemeingly pull inspiration from just about anywhere. "Just Decided" for instance sounds like Prince jamming with Flying Lotus while Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis hold it together from behind the decks with equipment they borrowed from the future. Butter for your eardrums.


[Hudson Mohawke MySpace]

[Butter will be released on the 26th of October through Warp Records/Inertia.]

No comments: